Jewellery of the reef
Coralia is lucky to be able to make jewellery out of real sea shells, but did you know that you can use an egg carton to create a perfect imitation? Coral reefs for you!
• 1 egg carton
• Acrylic paint (turquoise, pink, purple, yellow and white)
• Felt tip pens (blue, pink and purple) • Tube of glitter glue or glitter
• 2 silk cords, 1 m of each colour
• Glue gun
To be made with the help of an adult
Share your creations on social media!
1. Cut the bottom section of an egg carton in half.
2. Then follow the 4 steps in the picture to cut the shell shapes.
A. Separate the shells.
B. Trim off excess cardboard.
C. Use your pencil to draw a shell shape.
D. Trim off excess cardboard and draw the line pattern inside the shell shape.
3. Paint your sea shells with a gradient of colours. Then use the felt tip pens to draw the lines. Cover the whole thing with a coat of varnish.
4. Apply glitter to the shell edges, by using the glitter glue or by applying a little bit of varnish and sprinkling on loose glitter.
5. Get an adult to help with application of the hot glue on the inside of each shell, to stick a bead in place ready for threading.
6. Pass the cord through the shell and make a knot on each side of the bead. Then thread the beads of your choice onto the cord. Overlap the cords, then follow the picture instructions on page 35 to make 2 slip knots, so that you’ll be able to wear the necklace at the length you prefer.